Since I keep forgetting..
Fly: Edinburgh -> Toronto (direct), 10.15am departure on Wednesday 24th (land 12.45pm local time)
Drive: Toronto <–> New York. Depart Thursday (25th) with Mel for WildWood. Possibly watch a Worlds U23 game first. Return: on Monday (29th).
Fly: Toronto –> Vancouver on Wednesday 7th of August, at 11am (land 13.07 local time).
Shop and sight-see in Vancouver.
Day 1 (Saturday, August 10th) Vancouver –> Birch Bay State Park, Washington. Short 40 mile day to get started. *Need to book this!*
Day 2 (11th) Birch Bay –> ? (still researching option. Somewhere near Arlington, but no state parks there) ?
Day 3 (12th) ?(see above)? –> Seattle. <insert Kyla’s friend’s address here>
Pannier rack..check (from ribble, disc specific)
Power -on-the-go…dynamo hub and new wheel built by Ronde. USB output purchased, and being fitted to bike tomorrow. Need to order an electrical connector.
Garmin…on bike. Black zip-ties to install measuring device – maybe ask at EdBikeCoop? Purchase new CR2032. Also look into US maps for it.
Bottles & cages…check (from Ribble, as broke my carbon one). One 750ml bottle, one 500ml one from Kelley 🙂
Bought a new 6-rotor disc and a converter as dyno hub was centre-lock (both from SJS). Ronde built a new wheel over wknd for it, using the existing rim, and recycled the spokes (trimmed them). The converter hasn’t arrived yet; the rotor disc is less needed. But I suppose is a perfectly good spare.
Spare tyres..check (continental gatorskins, 2x from Ribble, and accidentally also 2x from SJS)
Light-weight summer clothing…check (a set of Rapha from Ronde, and a UCI WorldChamp jersey from Ribble)
To purchase next…
- ? Did I order inner tubes yet ?
- saddle bag. Pick a medium sized one, that you can use regularly when you get back.
To purchase after some more analysis…
- cycling shoes that are less hot!
- front bag / front of top-post bag. Depends on how much space I need — need to pack panniers first!
Welcome! I’m Oli, and in August and September of 2013 I’ll be cycling down part of the West Coast of North America, from Vancouver, British Colombia, to just shy of the Mexican border – Imperial Beach, California. I’ll be using this space to plan, and to pass back info, as I go.
I was trying to work out what sleeping bag to get for the ride — my current one is synthetic so doesn’t pack small, and is 3-4 season so too warm (and again, doesn’t pack small/light). So, I figured I’d need overnight minimum temperatures, and that’s what this is, a list of the climatological-mean daytime-highs and overnight-lows for various spots along the coast for when I expect to be there..
- place, climatological-mean daytime high (90% lie within), overnight low
- Vancouver, BC: 22 (4), 14 (2)
- Arlington, WA: 24 (4), 11 (3)
- Aberdeen, WA: 20 (3), 12 (2)
- Astoria, OR: 20 (3) , 12 (2)
- Newport, OR: 18 (2), 10 (2)
- Coos Bay, OR: 19 (8), 10 (3)
- Eureka, CA: 18 (3), 10 (3)
- San Fran, CA: 17 (2), 11 (1)
- San Luis Obispo, CA: 25 (4), 12 (2)
- Los Angeles, CA: 24 (4), 18 (2)
- Imperial Beach, CA: 24 (3), 19 (3)
The overnight lows are warmer than I expected. The upside is I can take an even-lighter bag.